Follow this checklist and see what happens!
1. WRITE DOWN YOUR 6 TOP INTERESTS AND PASSIONS.
If you feel stuck, think about what you discuss with your friends or areas that you flick to in magazines. What books do you like to read, what movies inspire you.
2. PICK 4 VALUES OR QUALITIES THAT MOTIVATE YOU.
For example – I am inspired by sharing knowledge, creativity, making a difference to people’s lives and spending time with children.
3. LIST THE 4 THINGS THAT YOU LIKE MOST AND LEAST ABOUT YOUR CURRENT JOB.
Maybe you love the buzz of working in an office, but hate the lack of autonomy. Maybe you love the freedom of being on the road, but hate the instability of working for commissions. This will give you insight into the qualities to look for in a new role.
4. DESCRIBE YOUR 3 STRONGEST SKILLS.
Include soft skills as well – like team work, communication skills.
5. THINK ABOUT YOUR 3 TOP PERSONALITY STRENGTHS.
Are you high energy, or reflective? Are you patient and thorough, or do you work best with a deadline? Are you good at working with people, or more inspired to work alone?
6. ASK YOURSELF – “WHERE IS MY DREAM DESK?”
Imagine where it would be – at home, in an office, on the road.
What would it look like?
7. WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE DO YOU WANT AROUND YOU?
Creative, analytical, busy, quiet, no-one?
8. LASTLY THINK ABOUT THE PRACTICALITIES.
What income are you looking for?
Where in the world do you want to be based?
Childcare costs and logistics – if you have children.
Free time that you need
Transport – costs and feasibility.
Do you want to start your own business, or change career?
It always helps to put things on paper and look at them from a different perspective.
You may find that you are happier where you are, or this will help you to make the decision to change your life.